Hockey began on the Sunshine Coast around 1949 comprising of three women's teams with games being played at Nambour Showgrounds. Fields were developed at Petrie Park, Nambour, specifically for women's sport incorporating hockey. Men's hockey games were played socially involving teams from Nambour, Gympie and Maryborough. In 1972, the Sunshine Coast Men's Association affiliated with the Queensland Hockey Association (now Hockey Queensland).
With the increase of player numbers, playing fields were established at Caloundra and Kawana. In February 1978, the Men's and Women's groups were amalgamated to form the Sunshine Coast Hockey Association. In 1982, a centralised player base was established at Ballinger Park, Buderim, incorporating six fields. Clubhouse facilities were erected in 1983, thus completing the base for Sunshine Coast Hockey.
Teams from Caboolture, Wamuran and Noosa joined the Association in 1986 and 1987 respectively, further strengthening hockey on the Sunshine Coast. Over the past years, international tournaments have been conducted successfully at Ballinger Park.).
The Sunshine Coast Hockey Association has witnessed tremendous growth in player strength over recent years with players competing in 64 teams (comprising approx 700 players) in the 2000 season. Both senior and junior players within the association have attained representative honours for District, State and National teams.